Event Saver Fund questions remain as festivals cancel

Questions remain over the details of a fund announced last year that pledged to compensate festivals and events that were forced to cancel due to Covid health restrictions.

The Event Saver Fund was announced in October as part of a broader $530 million support package for the NSW events sector. The fund was created to provide immediate support to organisers if events are cancelled or disrupted during the 2021-22 summer due to Covid restrictions.

The Omicron surge has forced a number of festivals to cancel including Grapevine Gathering in the Hunter Valley and the King Street Carnival. The Tamworth Country Music Festival was also forced to postpone until April.

“Over the last 12 months where there’s been a substantial impact on festivals we’ve provided that financial support to help get them through, and we will do the same again,” Premier Dominic Perrottet said on Friday.

“I know the Treasurer and the teams are working very closely on it.”

However, very few details have been released about the fund including how much is available and what sort of compensation organisers will actually receive.

A media release at the time said the fund would help organisers “to pay suppliers, staff and recovery other costs”.

Organiers and promoters have been asked to email Create NSW, which manages the fund, for more information.