Queensland will reopen borders on July 10 with all other states and territories except for Victoria, which is trying to contain a sudden spike in COVID-19 cases.
Anyone travelling from Victoria to Queensland, including Queenslanders, will be required to undergo a mandatory two-week quarantine at their own expense from Friday.
The news has been welcomed by the tourism sector which has been sounding the alarm over the devastating impact of a prolonged border closure.
“Interstate tourism contributed $9.2 billion to the Queensland economy last year and this announcement by the Premier will bring back a new ray of hope to all those people and their families,” said Queensland Tourism Industry Council chief executive Daniel Gschwind.
Visit Sunshine Coast chairman David Ryan said the opening of the border to all states other than Victoria would “offer a tremendous boost to the Sunshine Coast tourism sector”.
“This is an encouraging and positive decision by the Premier, and the opening of the border to all States other than Victoria will offer a tremendous boost to the Sunshine Coast tourism sector,” he said.
“This positive development should not obscure the fact that this has been one of the worst periods for Sunshine Coast tourism in recent decades and even with borders re-opened, recovery will be slow.”
The spike in Victorian Covid-19 cases has also forced South Australia to abandon plans to reopen the Victorian border on July 20.
“The ACT and NSW continue to do extraordinarily well, especially given the number of Australian citizens returning into Sydney on a daily basis,” said SA Premier Steven Marshall.
“It is possible NSW and ACT could be brought forward. We are actively looking at lifting the restrictions. The earliest that could occur would be later this week but we won’t be rushed on this issue. We need to be assured.”