Pandemonium festival forced to relocate to Sydney Olympic Park following Anzac Day backlash

festival

The Pandemonium rock music festival has been forced to relocate from the Domain to western Sydney due to conflicts with the annual Anzac Day commemoration service.

RSL NSW president Mick Bainbridge said a rock festival was not in the spirit of the Anzac Day service, which will take place in Hyde Park on April 25.

“We all love to have fun and live music is fantastic for Sydney, but Anzac Day is not the day for a music festival,” he said.

“ANZAC Day is a day to think of the sacrifices made by the approximately 120,000 people from NSW who served overseas during World War I, as well as all who have served since.”

Event organiser Andrew McManus, from Apex Entertainment, said the venue could have given them more notice.

“We could have negotiated it without all this public kerfuffle, and politely moved to out to where we’re going at Cathy Freeman Park at Sydney Olympic precinct,” he told the ABC.

NSW Premier Chris Minns backed the decision to relocate the music festival despite two sporting events in central Sydney going ahead as planned.

“A big part of that game (NRL) is commemorating the Anzac legacy and spirit and those that gave their life,” he said.“The importance difference is that had been done in concert with the RSL.

“The same goes with the Australian Turf Club that seeks permission from the RSL before any race meetings take place.”