New South Wales is relaxing its restrictions around events after seeing three consecutive days with no community transmissions.
The state’s Major Events Taskforce has increased capacity for corporate events and conferences to 300 people following the one per four square metre rule. The move comes into effect from October 1.
Theatres, cinemas and concert halls will also be allowed to increase audience numbers to as many as 1000.
“While we are by no means out of the woods, low case numbers give health authorities the confidence to allow mums and dads back onto the sideline,” NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said.
Tourism Accommodation Australia NSW CEO Michael Johnson said it would be a “boost” for the hotel sector.
“While the corporate event market will continue to struggle as long as border closures remain, the chance to now have up to 300 people at functions is a boost for our larger hotels which have that capacity,” he said.
“We have been pushing hard for this for some time as it provides certainty to companies and organisations looking to book for late this year or early 2021 and lets bigger hotels get some events back on their books.
“This is especially good news in the lead up to Christmas and accommodation providers are hopeful many events previously on hold will now get the green light.
“Hotels have been hard hit and the ability to once again do larger events will drive more revenue and help bring back jobs in the events and conferencing areas in particular.”