Jetstar has announced it will temporarily suspend a new direct flight service between the Gold Coast and Korean capital Seoul.
The service was announced in May last year, with flights kicking off in December. But the escalation of the coronavirus outbreak in Korea will see the service suspended from March 8 until at least June 30.
“We’ve made this decision in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the Australian Government’s recent travel advice for South Korea and the subsequent drop in demand,” Jetstar said in a statement.
“Customers will be offered a range of options including the option to defer their travel dates until March 2021 or a refund if they no longer wish to travel.”
Jetstar had high hopes for the new service when announced last year, with Jetstar Group CEO Gareth Evans saying Australia ranked highly as a destination South Koreans wanted to visit.
“South Koreans already travel more frequently than any other nationality in the Asia Pacific, so there’s no doubt they will take advantage of these new direct flights to Australia,” he said at the time.