Melbourne Grand Prix postpones to November

The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has forced the organisers of the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix to push back this year’s race eight months later than the usual season-opening March date.

To be held from November 21, the four-day Grand Prix event at Albert Park will be subject to prevailing public health conditions and advice from the Chief Health Officer, with infection prevention and control at the centre of all decisions.

“We’re very excited to be able to confirm the rescheduling of the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix to 18-21 November 2021,” said Australian Grand Prix Corporation chairman Paul Little.

“This wouldn’t have been possible without the strong support of the Victorian Government and Formula 1.”

Last year’s Melbourne Grand Prix was cancelled at the last minute after a McLaren staff member tested positive to the virus.

Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Martin Pakula said the postponement was a sensible decision.

“This is the right decision and we thank Formula 1 management for their co-operation in setting a new schedule for the 2021 season,” he said.

“The Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix is one of the great events in the world and we’ll make sure it can be run safely and successfully in November.

“The move means there will be a greater chance of welcoming fans from Victoria, interstate and around the world.”