A new rule introduced this year rendered previous winners of the World’s 50 Best Restaurant Awards from being eligible for the list, meaning this year’s number one restaurant took many by surprise.
Mediterranean restaurant Mirazur has taken the number one spot at the World’s 50 Best Restaurant Awards. Led by Argentinian-Italian chef Mauro Colagreco, Mirazur is located in Menton, France, near the Italian border. The latest accolade culminates a successful year that began with Mirazur being awarded its third Michelin star.
Speaking at the award ceremony at Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, Colagreco said “cuisine is able to cross all kinds of borders.”
“It’s incredible, I don’t have words to explain – it’s something so special, all the work, all the love of my team to achieve this award is something so special for us for me and Julia [his wife],” he said.
Rene Redzepi’s former number one restaurant Noma, eligible for the top spot due to its new Copenhagen location, made it to second place. Spanish flame grilled restaurant Asador Etxebarri took third place, Bangkok’s Gaggan, which has topped the Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list a record four times, took fourth place and was again named the Best Restaurant in Asia.
The new change to the judging excluded New York’s Eleven Madison Park, The French Laundry in California, The Fat Duck near London and last year’s winner, Osteria Francescana from Modena in Italy. These restaurants will instead enter a ‘Best of the Best’ program, which is still being developed.
Ben Shewry’s Attica has slipped out of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants list, falling from 20th spot last year to 84th on the list in 2019.
“I’ve known about it for months,” Shewry told Good Food. “I am totally fine, totally tranquil about it.
“While I have always been grateful to be a part of it, it has never been what’s defined our business or what we do here.”
Shewry said there would be no changes to the restaurant following the announcement.
“The main reason for any drop, and I understand it as well because I have been both a recipient and a voter, is how many [voters and judges] travel to Australia. Have there been a lot of voters travelling to Australia or have there not been?” he said.
“We have never marketed or played any games trying to improve our position on the list. Wherever it falls we will accept.
“Life is much more than accolades or fame … I have always been grateful to be included but it doesn’t give any meaning to our lives.”
Victorian restaurant Brae has also had a significant drop in rankings, coming in at 101st.
The world’s 50 best restaurants:
- Mirazur (Menton, France)
- Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark) *Highest-ever new entry*
- Asador Etxebarri (Axpe, Spain)
- Gaggan (Bangkok) *best restaurant in Asia*
- Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Central (Lima, Peru) *best restaurant in South America*
- Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
- Arpege (Paris, France) Alain Passard’s place
- Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain) *last year’s highest new entry*
- Maido (Lima, Peru)
- Den (Tokyo, Japan) *Art of Hospitality Award*
- Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico) *Best Restaurant in North America*
- White Rabbit (Moscow, Russia)
- Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain) *Highest Climber Award*
- Septime (Paris, France)
- Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée (Paris, France)
- Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
- Odette (Singapore)
- Twins Garden (Moscow, Russia) *new entry*
- Tickets (Barcelona, Spain)
- Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
- Cosme (New York City)
- Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen (Paris, France)
- Boragó (Santiago, Chile)
- The Clove Club (London, UK)
- Blue Hill at Stone Barns (Pocantico Hills, New York)
- Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
- Elkano (Getaria, Spain)
- Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
- Nerua (Bilbao, Spain)
- Lyle’s (London, UK)
- Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Atelier Crenn (San Francisco)
- Le Bernardin (New York City)
- Alinea (Chicago)
- Hiša Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
- A Casa do Porco (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
- The Chairman (Hong Kong, China)
- Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Hof van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
- Test Kitchen (Cape Town, South Africa) *Best restaurant in Africa*
- Sühring (Bangkok, Thailand)
- De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)
- Benu (San Francisco)
- Ultraviolet (Shanghai, China)
- Leo (Bogotá, Colombia)
- Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)