Lockout laws in Kings Cross to end in March

After six years, the NSW Government will scrap the controversial lockout laws in King Cross from March.

Introduced in 2014 by then-premier Barry O’Farrell as a knee jerk response to a number of alcohol-related violent incidents, the much maligned laws have been eased over the last 12 months in the CBD and Oxford Street.

But from March 8, venues will again be able to accept patrons after 1:30am with last drinks moved to 3:30am. The restrictions on serving cocktails, shots and drinking out of glass instead of plastic cups will also be removed.

“Kings Cross has transformed considerably since these laws were introduced over six years ago,” said NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian

“The precinct is now well positioned to continue to evolve into a vibrant lifestyle and cultural destination with a diverse mix of small bars, live music venues and restaurants.”

A parliamentary inquiry last year found the lockout laws were costing the state an estimated $16 billion in economic activity.

“This is an important step towards implementing our 24-hour economy strategy to ensure Kings Cross flourishes into a vibrant, diverse, inclusive and safe precinct as our city powers ahead with confidence,” said Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres.

The move will be reviewed again after 12 months.