South Australian Premier Steven Marshall said the state is seeing near record tourism traffic from interstate, in particular from New South Wales.
“Since we opened the borders to NSW a few weeks ago, traffic to southaustralia.com has been through the roof,” Marshall said.
“In the past fourteen days, the SATC has seen 99,000 visits to southaustralia.com from NSW – a 199 per cent increase on the previous 14 days.
“In the week the borders opened, we set a new all-time record for NSW organic search traffic to the website, with the 12,000 organic search visits being more than three times the typical week, and almost double the previous record set in mid-September last year.
“In addition to this, in the 36 hours immediately after the NSW border announcement, Qantas and Jetstar recorded 20,000 seat sales, and searches for SA on Expedia from NSW lifted 160 per cent.”
Hotels in the heart of the city are feeling the confidence to reopen including the Hilton Adelaide.
“The Hilton hotel closed on April 3 this year and I’m delighted to be here today to announce they are now open again,” Marshall said.
“The Hilton have 100 staff members back in action today, which will ramp up to 250 staff as demand increases.
“The opening of the NSW borders was just the news they have been waiting for – with around 37 per cent of their domestic visitors coming from NSW.
“What is even more exciting to see is that accommodation occupancy in our regions are reaching almost the same levels as this time last year – and that’s without international visitors and only some interstate.
“Some operators in the regions are reporting their ‘best winter trade ever’ and Adelaide hotels are also showing very positive green shoots.
“My government is backing our tourism sector unreservedly, particularly with our recent announcements of a $20 million fund to boost infrastructure and experiences for regional tourism and our Great State Tourism Voucher campaign.”