The organisers of the Broken Hill Mundi Mundi Bash have made the hard decision to move the inaugural music festival to April 2022 following the ongoing escalation of the COVID outbreak in NSW.
Set to run in September, the three-day festival will now take place on April 21-23, 2022.
Greg Donovan, festival owner and managing director of the Outback Music Festival Group, said confidence was running high after the success of Birdsville Big Red Bash earlier this month, but current conditions had made holding the event in September unachievable.
“We felt confident that with that experience under our belts we could run another COVID safe event this year,” he said.
“No one could have predicted the situation we now find ourselves in with the Delta variant – and it’s become abundantly clear that for the safety of our patrons, and the local Broken Hill community, we could not possibly stage such a major event at the end of September.”
Broken Hill City Council Mayor Darriea Turley supported the decision to postpone the event until next year.
“I think it’s a good move to push the event back given the ongoing uncertainty that is being created by the escalating COVID-19 situation in NSW,” she said.
“We’re extremely happy with the proposed new dates as the event will fall between the Easter long weekend and the Anzac Day public holiday. The Bash will complement our own Heritage Festival over Easter, and will allow visitors to enjoy an extended stay in the city without using too much leave.
“It has the potential to be a marquee week of entertainment and culture, and heritage in the city, so we hope organisers enjoy some better luck in their tireless efforts to bring this massive event to Broken Hill.”
All 2021 Mundi Mundi Bash tickets will remain valid for the April 2022 event.