A Tasmanian Government-sponsored expressions of interest process has opened to run the Taste of Tasmania.
Hobart City Council has backed a proposal for a Taste-style event on the Hobart waterfront, with the expressions of interest process open for submissions until June 22.
The EOI for a new organiser is part of an effort to save the event after the Hobart City Council decided it was too big for them to run.
But the Council is considering providing equipment through in-kind support and/or financial support to ensure the event will run this summer on the Hobart waterfront.
“I’m feeling really positive that we’ve got strong support from the state government and strong backing from the council and a lot of event organisers and stallholders interested to make something happen,” Lord mayor Anna Reynolds told The Mercury.
Premier Peter Gutwein said the event was “an iconic part of the Hobart calendar” and he doesn’t want to “see locals and businesses miss out on an event two years in a row” after last year’s Taste was cancelled due to the pandemic.
“The EOI will allow suitable proponents to outline their vision to refresh the Taste of Tasmania concept this year, activating the waterfront across the important holiday period and supporting the many businesses that benefit,” he said.
“Importantly, it will continue to be an iconic event that supports our visitor economy.
“Financial support, and the use of PW1, will be available from the Tasmanian Government to assist with conducting the event given its importance to the tourism and hospitality sector as well as the broader economy.”
The EOI will run until 30 June.