Council has pulled its support from the Gold Coast Show which had just announced plans to move the event to December.
The show’s organisers announced yesterday that they were now planning to hold the event on December 11-13 if restrictions on mass gatherings had been lifted.
“Choosing a Christmas date to work toward will connect the community and we wish to work with to deliver an event that is entrenched in the fabric of the city,” Gold Coast Show Society president Josephine Tobias said.
But the Chairman of Council’s Events Committee Bob La Castra said they couldn’t back the plan given the uncertainty over an easing of the ban on mass gatherings,.
“There was funding obviously allocated for this year and we had a funding agreement through to 2022, but of course this year with the uncertainty we are not going to be able to support the show for this year,” he said.
The Council will still cover the around $23,000 in costs that organisers have already incurred.
Tobias says they would move ahead with their plans despite the shock decision which will see them have to fill the around $100,000 hole in their funding.
“We have said from the onset we’re not sure exactly how the show will look, we’re expecting some changes to the format simply so we can abide by the health directives and also social distancing, in saying that we have budgeted for the event and we’ll proceed forward,” she told myGC.
“The history will continue and if Council don’t want to be part of that history I guess the opportunity is to see whether State government or Federal government or individual members of the community will step up and keep the show on the road.”
Councillor La Castra was not so optimistic about their plans.
“Obviously they’d love to go ahead but quite honestly I can’t see how they can at this point in time given the restrictions that are in place and I don’t believe that a venue has been secured either for this year,” he said.