Another Adelaide festival bites the dust after state budget cutback

The Victoria Park Sprint in the Adelaide Motorsports Festival has been cancelled for this year following cutbacks in the State Budget.

The festival began in 2014 with an attendance of 1800 and now attracts crowds up to 50,000.

Speaking to The Advertiser, festival director Tim Possingham said he hoped the cancellation this year was “just a pit stop” and he would seek further private sponsorship to fill the gap left by the Government cut.

“The reduction in funding is significant,” he said. “Therefore, there’s going to be significant change with that being all of the activity in Victoria Park not going ahead.

“We have been dealing with the Government for some time. I think the pathway forward is probably to seek more corporate support.”

Possingham said it was too early to forecast what form the event would take in 2020.

“It’s an event that had incredible growth over the five years that we ran it,” he said. “I’d like to say that it’s in for a pit stop in 2019 and it gets back out on track in 2020.”

The adjoined Adelaide Rally however, along with the Gouger Street Party and a new motorsport-themed street party, will still go ahead on the original dates of December 4-7.

The news follows the announcement last week that the State Government will axe the Adelaide Fashion Festival, which will be replaced by an expanded version the retail-based spin-off Vogue Festival.